Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Favorite Students

My favorite students are the ones who try. These are the kids who come to school every day without excuses, without attitudes and without the follower mentality and simply do what they need to do: work. I sometimes feel like I don’t give these kids enough attention. Depending on the dynamic of other kids in the class, I may only talk to them when they pass in their work, but I want to take this moment to recognize them (namelessly) because they’re the reason that I still go to work every day. An example of how these particular students keep me motivated occurred just last week. About 2 weeks ago I gave an assignment which we spent two and half days on in class. It consisted of excerpts from The Odyssey which each had a set of questions to answer and a greek value which the students had to assign to the story. That particular week there were a LOT of absences (for a variety of reasons) and many students did not complete their packet. One of my favorite students missed a day of class that week and was behind on his packet. For the next three days, this student came to me everyday at the beginning of their 20 minute break time and asked me for a packet so that he could finish. He would work diligently for 15-20 minutes, returned the packet and updated me on his progress each time. When he finally finished, I gave him full-credit. He never asked for full credit or even asked what his grade would be if he turned it in late, because it didn’t matter what grade he would get- he knew he had to get the work done. He’s one of the few students who doesn’t think that school is an option. When you realize that there are kids who actually see the purpose in what you teach them and do for them on a daily basis, it keeps you sane.

Another group of my favorite students are the kids who act like kids. Middle-schoolers are so eager to be adults, that they forget that they’re barely teenagers. The students who come to school and act like 12 year-olds are the ones who get through every day without ever getting in trouble. I know that being 12 has its own up and downs, and when students get upset with other students or have a bad day, I understand. However, a majority of students confront teachers the same way they confront their peers, and that’s what gets them in trouble. I adore the kids who, even when upset or mad, still know how to talk to an adult like an adult.




No comments:

Post a Comment