Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Brent's Year

Reading Brent's blog was both informative and delightful. At first I wasn't too keen on reading the entirety of a 2nd year's blog, but Brent's combination of humor and intense reflection was quite easy to get through and fun to read. There are two things that stood out to me the most in his blog. The first was his commentary on testing. Brent made a very good point about the way system of testing which exists in Mississippi. As a state-tested teacher who will soon enough have the pleasure of dealing with the inadequacies of this system, it was great to get some insight on why testing is necessary, but poorly implemented. I agree with Brent's thoughts on how state testing can be improved. It makes little sense to continue to test kids at every level, knowing that many of them are not at the level they should be. To effectively test students and measure real change you must implement change at the lowest level and test this grade as they move though the educational system. One good teacher in one year can do a lot. But combating 8+ years of bad instruction is tough to do, and most likely impossible for all students. One thing that I'm most excited about for the upcoming year is the fact that I get to work with middle school kids. Combating 6 years of poor instruction is much easier than 10, and I'm glad I get the opportunity to possibly make a greater difference just because of the grade I teach. One of my biggest concerns with MTC was the fact that most of the teachers were placed in high schools. Having interned for the program last year and having learned how a teacher's effectiveness diminishes steadily after 3rd grade, I was confused as to whether or not MTC's goals were being met. I'm happy that a good portion, perhaps even 50% of my class is teaching in middle school for the simple fact that we have the best chance at making a long-term impact.

Another thing that stood out to me in Brent's blog was one short post entitled "Why I left at 2 PM to go to the Creek". The blog only consisted of 2 short comments, but they related one message: frustration. Both comments were the types of thinks I expect to hear, but am most likely not truly prepared to hear on a regular basis from students and/or teachers. Things that will undoubtedly make me question why I even care. I appreciated the post because it showed how it only takes 2 comments to ruin your day and make you doubt your own impact and worth as a teacher. I know for a fact that Brent's an amazing teacher, but no matter how great any of us may be, we'll all have days when we feel like giving up, not because its too hard or because we can't handle it, but because people are generally unappreciative and they suck sometimes.

Overall it seems like Brent had a pretty good year (he's still here, right?). Of course he dealt with some negativity and bad days, but in general he's learned a lot and has appreciated his experience thus far. I only hop I can be as fortunate.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comment: