Sunday, June 5, 2011

Teacher Skills to Improve

Informal Assessment

One thing that I rarely implemented in my classroom this past year was consistent informal assessments. The reason for this may have been because I ask a lot of open-ended/ opinion questions in my classroom; however, I also think I just wasn't very conscious of it in cases when it could have been implemented. My goal is to develop a consistent routine for informal assessments during the summer. Although I think that informal assessments work best with multiple choice questions, I can also implement informal assessments with DOK 1 level questions or fill-in-the-blank worksheets. I hope that by planning activities which are more conducive to informal assessments, I can train myself to be more consistent in this area. Since I have to be more cognizant of modeling good teaching for the first-years, I figure that summer school will be the perfect arena to further develop this particular skill.

Making my Own Worksheets

During my first summer in MTC, I often made or borrowed worksheets for students to complete during lessons. When I started teaching in the fall, I put these worksheets to the wayside, opting to focus on more pressing and overwhelming issues. This summer I want to get back to making my own interactive worksheets. Not just questions and answers, but graphic organizer worksheets, fill in the blank, etc. Because I had so many students this year, I also found it time consuming and costly to make so many copies, but I would like to get to the point where I have students complete at least one of these types of worksheets each week. I hope to eliminate stress on my part by limiting the frequency of worksheets. At the same time, having a set schedule will add structure to my weekly lesson planning. Summer school is a perfect opportunity to work on this skill for multiple reasons. Firstly, we have no textbooks. This means that I have to generate my own slides or outside resources anyway. With note-taking its always good to use a guided note template or some other worksheet to focus the students note, regardless. Secondly, I don't have too much teaching to do in general so I can put more effort into each lesson. Thirdly, it will be good to model for the first-tears the different types of activities/ worksheets teachers can plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment