Friday, February 3, 2012

A day in the life

Alarm rings at 5:35. A. M. - I press snooze and cling to the precious 15 minutes I have left until the sounding of alarm #2. Often, this is the deepest sleep I get all night...at least it feels like it.
Alarm #2 rings at 5:50A. M. - I jolt out of bed with the realization that the day has officially begun. I head to bathroom to brush my teeth, insert my contacts and generally mull about in semi-awake state for next 5-10 minutes. Then it's off to my closet to find something suitable to wear. Occasionally, my clothes will be already picked out and ironed from the previous time, but most of the time I follow the grab and go method.
6:20 A. M. - grab a snack ( yogurt or peanut butter crackers) , tea, and head out the door. During the ride I listen to a mix between hip-hop, r&b and pop, usually very loudly so I can stay awake and mentally prepare for what's ahead.
6:40A. M. - arrive at school. I sign in and head to my room to prepare it for the kiddies. Straighten desks. Prepare my boards and usually do some last minute retouching to my power points and comp print whatever I might need. The kids arrive at 7:00 A. M. and I spend the next 40 minues in the hallway ushering students to class.
7:40 A. M. - First period starts and the real work begins. I teach 5 classes and one intervention period back to back. There's the occasional bathroom break and hallway small-talk with teachers, but very few moments when my mind isn't focused on my lesson for the day.
1:37 P. M. - Fifth period is dismissed and I get my planning period for the day. That is- unless I have a meeting, which is the case 3/5 days a week. Mostly I use the time to unwind ( use the bathroom, walk around the halls, talk to the other history teachers) and found the energy for my final class.
2:37 P. M. - Seventh period begins and I find the energy to teach one last period. Though it's not without difficulty.
3:35 P. M. - class ends and I follow the students outside for dismissal. Monday- Wednesday I stay at school for and additional 60-90 minutes for tutoring and meetings.
4:15-5:15: if it's been an early day I'll usually is watch tv or eat unhealthy snacks for about an hour until I'm rested, full, or really really really need to do work. Sometimes I'll take a nap.
5:15 P. M. - work on tomorrows materials, lesson plan, eat, lesson plan, watch tv, grade, shower, work some more, call my mom, work.
11:00 P.M. - sleep and live to teach another day.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all of the honest information you have given. I am interested in applying for next year. What advice would you give someone to help them get a position with the MTC? I have read many blogs and read as much as I could on line. I am aware of the less than ideal conditions that the schools provide. I am older, I have grown children and I am looking for a new challenge/ opportunity. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete